Wall Mile 59 [HB 336]
The course of the ditch is still readily apparent whilst the curtain wall itself is once again marked by the hedgerow. About 1.5km to the south, partly beneath runway 07 at Carlisle Airport, lies Watch Cross (sometimes known as Watchclose) temporary camp, right next to the line of the Stanegate. This was so prominent in the 18th and 19th centuries that it was thought that it must be a Wall fort and so it was included by Horsley in the listing of fort names as Aballava. Sadly, excavation in 1935 showed it to be only a temporary camp, but even before then scholars had dismissed the notion as fanciful and all the fort names had been reshuffled.
Before very long, Old Wall appears on the far side of a minor road. The older buildings on the farm are, of course, built from Wall stones, as is the revetment for the small ditch to the right of the path.
Continuing eastwards, the Wall turns almost due east for a while and we embark upon another section of walking on the berm, passing gently uphill along a track, with the line of the curtain wall to our right, and the ditch to our left (although we are separated from the last by another hedgeline). Near the peak, we pass the site of Milecastle 59.
Milecastle 59 (Old Wall) [HB 336; haiku]
Milecastle 59 (Old Wall) was apparently excavated by Hodgson in 1894, who found fragmentary remains and pottery, and one wall has subsequently been located by geophysical survey in 1980/1.